Friday, April 5, 2013

Sticky talons of piercing truth!


April 5, 2013
It's good to get out and move a little, even when you are of a phlegmatic temperament.  Get's things moving.  Shakes things up.  Results in massive snot rocket impacting crank!
I call this glaze "IRSnot."

Thank you Dr. Sanguinary.  Blood's not the only thing bike-riding'll get flowing!

Once I had arrived at my place of work at the bobble-head assembly plant I noticed a bird of prey, possibly a Sharp-shinned Hawk, that appeared to be engrossed in grossly disemboweling some hapless critter that had been ensnared in its talons of piercingness.

At lunch a noticed that there wasn't much left of the unfortunate pigeon.

After work, I noticed that my new crank finish had dried to a lovely, multi-colored glaze, reminiscent of an elegant ash glaze thickly (and forcefully) applied to a supple, long-stemmed carafe.

I took the photo first, then I noticed that my fore-tyre had gone flaccid.  Had the fearful, sharp-shinned master of the skies snuck inside to pierce the Old Bastard's happy tyres like a fat pigeon with its shuriken-like talons?  I glanced about uneasily.  Further observation revealed that the deflation was due to a small glass shard in my faithful tyre's rubber.
Tyre valve nut encircling glass shard.

Nothing like a little piece of something abrasive to reduce a stiffly virulent tyre to ineffective malleability.   Damn.  Even my protective Mr. Tuffy tyre liner had not been able to deflect this pernicious booger of silica.

Made it home in time to get the Bastard hosed down and lubed up and ready for the next round!

So have you met Mr. Carlos Morales, our fair to middlin' city's Bike and Pedestrian Coordinator?  Here's an article that explains some of what Mr. Morales does for us Omahahans.  And here is an interesting, if long-winded, 2011 article that explains something about how his position came into existence and how his salary is comprised of public and privately donated funds.  Mr. Morales has recently been mentioned a few times in the local newspaper as a kind of symbolic bicycling bogeyman who gets paid huge amounts of hard-earned taxpayers' money for painting bike lanes where no one wants them.  Well, I for one would like to mention that he is also a pedestrian coordinator/bogeyman.  So don't forget that!  And furthermore I am glad he's around because we probably would not have as many bike lanes without him.  Or as good of a chance at getting even more of them constructed as soon as possible.  A Bike and Pedestrian Coordinator is just what this city needs to turn a good city for biking into a great one!  Oh and for walking too, yawn.  Now let's bike!  or walk or sleep or whatever you wanna do with your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment