Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Public interest or not, here we come!


April 2, 2013
Do you wish to create a sanctuary that reflects your unique personality?  I agree.  Where to begin?  Is your sanctuary Cheers?  What?!  Mine too!  Cliffy!  Other types of sanctuaries include homes, gardens, bathrooms, the ping pong arena, or live-action role-playing.  And bicycling!  As we all agree, bicycling along down a hill at a comfortable speed is great.  It is easy to drift into a state of active relaxation that is moderately meditative in nature.  Although I have been refraining from bicycling these past few days due to a rather abrupt whalloping by the flu, I do recall bicycling in a wistfully romantic way.  And why not!  I often remember days or moments before becoming sick as being vividly enjoyable and sensuous.  Why, last time I was out on my 2-wheeled mule I was bicycling uphill when all of a sudden I noticed a pair of rugrats scampering about their yard enthusiastically in the warm glow of a spring eve.  One gave me a "Hi!" in a confrontational tone.  I rang my bell.  She started running to keep up with me as I pedaled upwards at an unusually brisk pace, buoyed by the pleasant clime and a chipper attitude.

"Why are you bicycling?!" she demanded.
I rang my bell cheerily.
"Why are you bicycling?!" she persisted.
"It's fun." I wheezed.  Ding!
"Why do you keep ringing your bell?" she inquired, easily keeping pace with my belabored climbing.
"It's my way of saying 'hello'." I managed, speaking quickly so as to get it all out between huffs.
"But, actually, why are you bicycling?!" she queried spontaneously.
"It's how I get around."
"I'm, running, just...."
Hmmm.  I guess she wasn't really in it for the long hill haul.
"You're a good runner." I observed.
"Thanks."
Ding!

Ah!  Good old fashioned chit-chatting in the happy springy outdoors!   The memory of that bright evening has helped me make it through the past few days sitting around feeling crappy and doing as little as possible.  What have you been up to?  What?!  That was you!?

As you may have noticed, there are some spring bicycling events occurring that might be of interest to you.  I am planning on attending the Bike for Sight, 9 a.m. on April 27, starting down at Miller's Landing.  It seems like a good route and the cost is not as high as many rides, weighing in at a lean $22.30.  I think most, if not all, of the money raised goes straight to paying for Haitian peoples' eye surgeries.  And I also believe that Nebraska Brewing Company will give ya a beer or 2.  It's a win-window of double-paned opportunity, as they say.  

And there's a summary of our cities mayoral candidates views on transportation here.

I'll be checking in again soon.  I am happy to be breathing freely again and I hope you had a nice time fooling everyone with your crazy April Fool's antics!  Please send photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment