Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm no hero....citizen!

January 4, 2012
In these confusing and competitive times, people are often confused, confusing and/or competitive. It is no wonder that bicyclists often view themselves, or are portrayed by the media/Pixies, as superheroes.

Like superheroes and illuminated reindeer silhouettes...

we crave attention. We try to get attention through various means. We blog. We wear bright/tight clothes. We yell. We ring bells. We fall off our bikes. Mostly, despite these efforts, we are merely ignored.

Also, like superheroes, we may be competitive. All of us familiar with superhero mythology know that the Avengers and the X-Men were always trying to outdo one another, and vying to be the do-goodiest do-gooders. Same with the Justice League and the Teen Titans. Or the League of Extraordinary Gentlement and the Pile of Bums.

This evening I was all gussied up in my superhero-like jersey and ready to fly home when I realized that I had left my jacket upstairs where all the working stiffs were still plunking away on their keyboards. I got back upstairs and a co-worker, apparently stunned by my shining attire said "Whoa!"

Speaking of jerseys, here is the cool jersey available from the Bicycle Ride Across Nebraska (BRAN).

Pretty cool, eh? As you may have heard, you may register for BRAN here, if you are so inclined.

Superheroes also have a variety of perspectives. Superman is positive. Batman is kind of a realist and/or cynical. The Hulk is angry. The Tick is confused. Similarly, bicyclists have different perspectives. Some enjoy having a clear, unobstructed view of the path in front of them. Others, like me, prefer a brim to shelter them from the elements or the potentially blinding lights of oncoming traffic. Here is what that perspective looks like.

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home and as I was locking up my trusty BS-mobile I heard a kid outside Qdoba ask his mom, "Can I bring my tablet?" I could tell by his tone, that this kid would be a rather chunky, computer-oriented kid. The next thing I heard was, "Who is that?" I looked up and confirmed that both the kid and mom were a bit hefty, and also that they were looking at me warily. Truly baffling to see a man in reflective jacket and funny shoes.

I tried to reassure them, but despite their size they ducked quickly into Qdoba and began shoveling food into their faces before I got the chance.

Well here's what I would have said, "Be at peace, friends. For I'm no hero, merely a citizen.... like you!" Then I would smile rakishly and stride out, back to my multi-use trails, sidewalks and residential streets. Back to my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment