Friday, January 6, 2012

Bikes 'n Crime

As the attentive among as may have noted, crime and bicycles go together like tomatoes and rice. This is exactly why I had my tank-like 1990 Bridgestone MB-5 registered at the local police department almost as soon as I got it home.

The officer who registered it seemed pretty baffled, but he dutifully entered my name and the bicycle license number into the rather slim ledger (hey, if they didn't want me registering my bike they shouldn't have given me that bicycle safety course back in elementary school!). I should probably write down the serial numbers, too. I'll put that on my too doo doo list.

Here is a recent event that illustrates the relationship between bicycles and crime.

Bicycle a tip-off in car theft attempts

Omaha police said it was a bicycle that gave away a man accused of trying to steal three cars Thursday.
About 2 a.m., Johnathon S. Sorensen, 23, was interrupted by the vehicle owner near 41st Avenue and Y Street, said Lt. Darci Tierney, police spokeswoman.
Sorensen hopped on a bicycle and sped away, Tierney said.
Police say he then stopped near 43rd and Monroe Streets, stole some items and tried to steal a vehicle from a garage.
Later, a police officer was searching a neighborhood nearby when he spotted a bicycle behind a car.
He found Sorensen inside the vehicle at 39th and X Streets, with burglary tools and a bag full of stolen items from the garage at 4234 Monroe St., Tierney said.
Sorensen was booked on suspicion of three counts of theft by unlawful taking, three counts of possession of burglary tools, burglary and possession of a controlled substance. — Sam Womack
Well it's a good thing he didn't mess with the Old Bastard, because I would've reported the theft to the LaVista police department. I know what you're thinking, but LVPD doesn't give a shit about "jurisdiction," they would've fielded their one bicycle officer, a Dirty Harry-like bike cop (yeah, he probably couldn't get around very quickly, but when he got there.... you might not feel so lucky, punk).

Unlike many competitive bicyclists, I believe that bicyclists should stick together, though, so here's my long-winded, but circuitous, rationale for this criminal's behavior. Yes, that previous sentence sported an abundance of commas, kind of a comma chameleon, eh? Okay, here's two sets of rationale, you pick the one you like better:

1. Bicycling is confusing. "Am I good, am I bad?" I often ponder as I ride through an intersection completely engrossed in my self-centered musings. Many motorists seem to believe the latter, whereas most of us bicyclists believe that the former is a nearly criminal understatement. So, what do confused people do? We work it out. Sometimes with thoughts, other times with actions. They may involve yelling and fuming. These actions may involve giving the finger to a motorist. They may involve trying to steal cars so that you don't have to ride your damn bike no more!

2. Not all of us are lucky enough to be born into bicycling aristocracy. Some of us are born into a hard knock life. Hey, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Take it? Accept it? Become one with it? Or say, fuck this!? I started out with no shoes. Gonna get some. No bike? Take one (just make sure it's unlicensed). No car? Hey, get a little creative, a little ambitious, maybe don't take a nap in the back of a car? You could have your own double-set of wheels!

Here is another news item. It also involves the LVPD.

Fatal motorcycle and car collision. LVPD stated that excessive speed may have been a factor in the motorcycle colliding with the van. Sobering.

Here's another item that I am wondering about. Does LVPD actually have any bicycle cops? Or even Cycle Cops? Let me see if I can find that out....
Okay, here's what I got. LVPD probably don't actually have any bicycle officers, however the Sarpy County Sherriff's Dept. not only has 'em, they flaunt 'em!

Sure, there's some serious paunch going on with these officers of the law, but paunch and bicycles go together like beer and blogging.

Crime and Punishment. Crime and Bicycles. Which side are you on?

No comments:

Post a Comment