Monday, January 16, 2012

January Dreamin'

January 16, 2011
It was so hellishly warm yesterday that the park was aswarm (ass-warm?) with doggies, peoples and their ilk. I was drawn into this cesspool of humanity like a teenage girl to a mall. I slipped into my shorts and paleoslippers

and exited out for a quick exercism. While jogging haggardly homewards a fit young man accompanied by a father-like figure and a dog-like creature, boldly queried me from about 50 paces, "So you new to the Vibrams?"

"No, I'm just slow."
"They're really good for your stabilizers," he enthused knowingly.
"You got some?!" I retorted (I didn't know what I meant, either...stabilizers? Vibrams?)
"Nope. I do a bit of barefoot running," he modestly boasted.


Hmmm. Good for you, Mr. Know -it-all.

Now that I am a nearly mature 40 years of age, I'll have to try to project a crankier vibe so that these young whippersnappers don't holler friendily at me from across the park. It's just that it's hard to be cranky on a sweltering January day like it was on Sunday. Indeed, this gregarious sapling put me in a good mood despite my grumpy aspirations.

Here's another reason I was so cheery.

A well-stocked refrigerator.

Today I went out on the Old Bastard, blowing snot and hawking lugies merrily.

As you may know, today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. MLK is an inspiration to many and was a great man. A documentary about Benazir Bhutto last night on PBS's Independent Lens made me begin to draw a few parallels between these two idealists. She engaged in many marches (albeit as a political candidate) against the established order - the military ruling class of Pakistan. She elicited a powerful response from those she represented and from her enemies.  

I had a dream last night that I was a student in a Pakastani school and I was chatting and doodling on a paper bag with a girl sitting next to me. The teacher ran over and began to cut up the drawings with a pizza cutter and set them on fire. One of her animal sketches (I think it was a turtle, or a fish) flew away, partially aflame.

Not as great of a dream as MLK, but not bad for me.  Better than the next one, which involved a baby in cotton diapers taking a dump while I was holding him on my lap. 

Happy dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment