Friday, August 3, 2012

Hey NASA!? Let's bike!

August 3, 2012
Many of you may have noticed that it is hot out. Grass is brown.

People with lawns that are still green are watering their lawns obsessively. People are driving around with their kids in their cars, a/c on, smoking cigarettes with their windows rolled up. People are enjoying outdoor music events, such as last night's Jazz on the Green featuring the Lil' Slim Band's brand of rock and funk-edged blues. And this weekend is the Hullabaloo Festival.

As usual, there are a few area bicycling events coming up- the long-running (22nd annual) and generally enjoyable Corporate Cycling Challenge is on Sunday August 19th, and Great Plains Bicycle Club's Heatstroke 100 is occurring one week after that. Nothing like corporations and heat to get me excited about some bicycling. Ooooo, yeah! Let's get amped!

Speaking of amped, I had at least 40 ounces of Mello Yello at Hollywood Diner the other night. Whoa! Don't need to be that amped! That amount of caffeine should only be available by prescription! Or maybe it was the sugar.  Then I attempted to bottle my annual batch of ginger beer. The attempt was marginally successful. I spilled about 40 ounces in my awkward siphoning phase and managed to inflict a slight nick to my sizable pate.

The majority of it made it into suitable containers.

This beverage is maturing in my basement, and appears to be extremely carbonated already. We'll see if any of the bottles blow like an angry, abused tyre forced to endure the sadistic Heatstroke 100.

Here is another event to inflict bestow upon your children and/or self. Yes, as you almost certainly have surmised, it's a bicycle rodeo! Not to be confused with the enigmatic band- Bike Rodeo. I will now inflict bestow upon you an opportunity to view them in action.

Did they just sneak onto a stage before someone else's show and get this video done? Yes. Is this unusual? Probably not. Is there an audience? No, those guys are friends and/or related to them.  But once the video gets some hits.... oh, then fame is a definite marginal possibility.

Kind of like the possibility that the Curiosity will contact some form of life on Mars. I can tell you now that nothing is alive on that planet (I learned it from Uranus- I can't explain it now, but it's true!). However, I am available to get out there and supply some life. As long as I can take my mountain bike. I will be able to lay out and design some sweet-ass trails. As an avid amateur fossil-hound, I will keep my eyes out for any discernable signs of former and/or current life. You better believe that I will be able to displace some earth in a far more random pattern than Curiosity. My code name could be Agent Reeking "Wreaking Havoc."  Wait.  Is that already taken?  Howzabout Astrosnot OMA?  Since my bike skills are as marginal as Bike Rodeo's talent music, these trails will be sure to be enjoyed by  generations of mountain biking beginners among the hordes of onrushing Martian pioneers. Of course, as all you Marsophiles are undoubdetly aware, the gravitational forces of Mars are much less than Earth's (100 Earth pounds = 38 Martian pounds), so that will take some getting used to. My mass of 80 75 kgs or so, will translate into only about 63pounds of weight on my new home.  Did I mix my units there?  I'll weigh about as much as 0.55 ACUs (Alberto Contador Units).  I may need a medical (and mathematical) robot sidekick. This is shaping up to be a pretty sweet adventure. Whaddaya say NASA? (Please disregard my earlier poor mathematical abilities, they will almost certainly improve marginally with altitude).

Mars! Here I come! I just hope I can brew my summer ginger beer up there (with summer temperatures nearing -17.2 degrees C [-1 degree F-ing heit] I'm sure I'll need a refreshing beverage after a hard day "in the field")!

No comments:

Post a Comment